are primarily known as Surety Bonds and are issued and regulated by the Insurance Industry. All Surety Companies are licensed and controlled by the state insurance departments where they operate. Generally there are two main categories of bond types: contract bonds and commercial bonds.
A Contract Insurance Bond
Known as a performance and payment bond is a three party instrument. The parties of this form of insurance bond are:
- The principal - the primary party who will be performing a contractual obligation
- The obligee - the party who is the recipient of the obligation, and
- The surety - who ensures that the principal's obligations will be performed.
Through this agreement, the surety agrees to uphold - for the benefit of the obligee - the contractual promises (obligations) made by the principal if the principal fails to uphold its promises to the obligee. The contract is formed so as to induce the obligee to contract with the principal, i.e., to demonstrate the credibility of the principal.
Contract bonds guarantee a specific contract. Examples include performance, bid, supply, maintenance and subdivision bonds. Commercial bonds guarantee per the terms of the bond form. Examples include license & permit, union bonds, etc.
For more information regarding contract insurance bonds Check Here.
Commercial Insurance Bonds include
License and Permit Insurance Bonds
A term used to refer to bonds, which are required to obtain a license or a permit in any city, county, or state. These bonds guarantee whatever the underlying statute, state law, municipal ordinance, or regulation requires. They may be required for a number of reasons, for example the payment of certain taxes and fees and providing consumer protection as a condition to granting licenses related to selling real estate or motor vehicles and contracting services.
Some bond types included with License and Permit Bonds:
For more information on commercial insurance bonds, check here.
- BLUE SKY BOND
- COLLECTION AGENCY BOND
- COMPLIANCE GUARANTEE LICENSE BONDS
(Plumbers, Electrician, Building Contractors, HVAC, etc)
- GRAIN WAREHOUSE BOND (State Grain Storage and Grain Buyers/Dealers, Federal Grain Storage/Buyers Bond)
- ICC BROKERS BOND (Transportation Broker)
- LICENSE BOND (FINANCIAL GUARANTEE)
- LICENSE PERMIT BONDS
- MORTGAGE BROKER (Loan Broker)
- MOTOR VEHICLE DEALERS BOND (New or Used Car Dealers)
- PRIVATE SCHOOL BOND
- TAX BONDS (Tobacco, Fuel, Liquor, Sales, Amusement, etc)
- Public Official Bonds
- Fiduciary Bonds
- Court Bonds
- Utility Bonds
- Miscellaneous Surety bonds